Monday, July 19, 2010

More Tinkering With RAW

I've been contemplating this whole RAW thing. I'm going to do some more reading, and check out some tutorials. I'll need to get a copy of Photoshop or something. I found a complete guide to processing raw in Photoshop at a news stand downtown, but I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the $35 to buy it. I probably should though. For now, I've been using the Canon Digital Photo Professional software that came with my Rebel and I've made a small amount of progress. My biggest issue at the moment however, is organization. I need a system of keeping track of what photos are where, and what format (raw or jpeg) and whether or not they've been edited. I found Lightroom confusing, but I haven't read anything about how to do it properly. The import / export / collections aspect of Lightroom also made it more confusing when trying to process the raw images. I haven't given up on it yet though.

So, here's what I have done so far in Canon DPP. The image on the left is the original, and the image on the right is the edited photo. Basically, all I have done so far is play with the white balance, and used the Highlight Alert, and Shadow Alert to try to correct the exposure.




Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about the blur in these last pictures, and noise reduction is still beyond me, but I fiddled with it a little bit.



I still have a lot of reading ahead of me. Woohoo.

Oh, I bought a LensPen lens cleaning device today, because I got dust and smudges on it during today's outing. I also ordered a remote shutter switch so that I can take low shutter speed photos without touching the camera, therefore, no camera shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment